Tuesday, March 4, 2008

the politics of personality

Fidel Castro handed over the reins to his 'younger' brother Raul. For almost 50 years, he had been the ruler of Cuba. That’s a long time in a political career. Especially with a large unfriendly neighbor like the USA beside you. For a former baseball player, he held out quite well as a leader.

I’ve always been a big fan of personalities in politics. I liked Leonid Brezhnev because he was a big personality, not necessarily for his politics. I liked Margaret Thatcher for the same reason.

The states hasn’t really had anybody I like that made it to the top. I did like Nixon, but he was a bit before me. H.Ross Perot was an interesting candidate but never came close. I was hoping that Jesse Ventura, fresh from Governor of Minnesota, would run – but he didn’t.

Locally, I’ve liked Pierre Trudeau, Joe Clark, Rene Levesque and Jean Cretchen. When I first became aware of politics, Trudeau was our Prime Minister. Except for a brief hiccup with Joe Clark, he lasted for sixteen years. He made quite the impression on me at the time.
I look forward to a few years from now when Trudeau and Mulroney can clash again when Justin and Ben face off.

No comments: