Tuesday, March 11, 2008

more D & D memories

In 2000, D & D 3rd edition caused a huge uproar with the move to D20 and open source. The last big change to AD&D was when the second edition came out in 1989. We were at Gencon that year when they announced it. The big change on my side was that they had dropped the ‘Advanced’ from their name.

My 3rd edition had come out 17 years earlier.

Going in to senior high in 1983, I picked up the new D&D (3rd edition) boxed set. Over the years they churned out another Expert set, as well as a Companion, Masters, and finally Immortals. This one started with a walkthrough adventure in its own Players Handbook to start off new players. My copy is now pretty beat up from loaning it out to prospective players. While we did play a few one-offs, I don't believe that we ever did get a campaign going.

No comments: