Thursday, March 20, 2008

LARP

We’re too young for any of the steam-tunnel live-action D&D craze. We did play a few of the Murder Mystery diner games – but they aren’t quite the same. By the next time live action role playing came around in a big way, Vampire the Masquerade was the one making headlines. I didn’t play that either but many who have seem to be the ones to think it’s the only game out there.

Many others systems have come out with LARP versions. I have the Star Wars, and Cthulhu Live ones. I even played a Highlander LARP back in the day at Gencon.

Some of the local players seem to think the only LARP that could be is Vampire. They were once putting together a LARP con. When I expressed interest and asked what games they would be playing, Cthulhu Live or Star Wars, they look askew at me and said that they would just be playing Vampire the Masquerade.
They didn’t appreciate my suggestion that they should rename their convention to be a VAMPIREcon instead of a LARPcon so as to not confuse people. I’m not even sure if they actually ran the convention or not – it had dropped off my radar after I found out it didn’t have anything that interested me.

Presently, I'm reading the Cthulhu Live books. They look great - I'm just not sure I have enough of a crowd with which to play though.

No comments: