Monday, February 11, 2008

Axis & Allies

I’ve never been a big fan of Axis & Allies. I’ve played it a few times – usually as Japan but don’t really like the game. I had to pick one up – to complete the GameMaster Games series. I already had Broadsides and Buccaneers, Shogun, Conquest of the Empire, and Fortress America. I’ve always preferred Risk, Diplomacy, or even Fortress America to it. I’ve had the game for close to a decade now and just sat down last night to finally de-sprue it.

The people that I know who do play it usually have a copy of it themselves so the one time someone pulled mine out to play, they were quite dismayed that I hadn’t taken the couple of hours it takes to remove the pieces from the sprues. Having just read the Usborne Introduction to the Second World War, I wanted to track the progress of the war on the world map. The game set up seems quite accurate. I was rather impressed and will probably need to actually try it again sometime.

The kids also thought the game looked pretty neat. D3 thought the ships looked real on the water and G thought the Rising Sun markers looked like candies.

No comments: