Thursday, October 11, 2007

pre Halloween

Another tourney – another loss, win, loss. I had a good pull this week (drew a Lobo!) but had 6 figures over 100 points with the remainder all 60 or 70 points – making it hard for me to throw together a team. I settled on either Lobo and Captain Boomerang or Luthor and Aztek. I ended up playing the Lex/Aztek combo. I believe part of my problem is that I don’t know the DC characters as well as the Marvel ones and so am not positive who I should be focusing on to attack.

I am working away at the kids Halloween costumes. Well, I gave the pattern for my daughter’s costume to my mom to sew. The son wants to be Boba Fett. I’m finishing the side details of the helmet and have the plans for the armor, wristbands, and backpack from http://thedentedhelmet.com . I’m going to be close for time with finishing and painting. I’m hoping we can find some pants and shirt we can use at Value Village instead of having to sew that as well.

Luckily, my evenings and weekends are mostly open now. I do have two more Slave of Starro tourneys, and we still have to finish putting away the pool and getting the yard decorated.
We’re big into decorating for Halloween. The kids are still young, so the gore factor is way down. I have to touch up the face on our tree (that’s held up very well this last year), hang out the skeletons in the tree, and set up the gravestones. Closer to the date, we put out the lights and figures. We have done a Nightmare before Christmas theme for the last few years, building on to it each year. We have the Pumpkin King scarecrow, the tree with the skeletons, gravestones (including Witch Hazel and Deadly Nightshade ones), a floating Zero, and an eight foot tall Jack Skellington. As well as the normal pumpkin and spider garbage bags.
I have a fog machine and made a fog chiller (you need to chill the fog so it hangs on the ground instead of rising up) but it wasn’t as useful without a timer – which I got last year. That’s another thing I’m looking to try out this weekend.

No comments: