Friday, October 19, 2007

costume progress

I’m alternating late nights (or early mornings) while working away on the costumes. Last night I finished modifying the gloves for G. The dollar store gloves are close to the right color but way too big and long. So I trimmed and sewed the fingers and thinned the palms. The cuffs were elbow length but, rolled twice, look right.
Mom has sewn the main outfit already and it looks good on G. She’ll finish the cape and hem the skirt tonight. Dad already made boots out of leatherette that she can wear indoors. I still have to make the bat symbol for her chest, finish the mask, and do a belt.

For D3’s Boba Fett, I started making the armor plates by laminating sheets of cardboard. I’m taping then to a bucket while they dry to give them a bit of a curve. I have a lot of soft parts to work on over the next week – vest, gloves, pouches, belts, as well as the spats and extra pockets. The backpack may be out of the picture for next weekend. For this weekend, I want to finish the helmet enough to start painting, start the armor/vest, and make good headway on the gauntlets.

While working away the hours, I usually have some DVD commentary running in the background. Lately, I’ve been rewatching episodes of Firefly and finally going through the Alien Quadrilogy features. I'm going to sleep between 11pm and 2am nightly. So far, I haven't had to pull any allnighters yet. I remain optimistic.

No comments: