Friday, February 19, 2010

Wolfman delivers

Some people are coming down on the new The Wolfman movie. We saw it on Tuesday and liked it a lot. Of course, I'm usually pretty easily satisfied by a werewolf movie. My checklist is pretty small - is there some violence (check), a werewolf transformation (check), running through the woods/fog (check/check), a hot babe (mostly check). So it worked fine for me. Shan's a big fan of the gothic horror so she thought it was a truly great film.

Some people may not like the flatter-faced wolfman but I thought it was a good version based on the original wolfman makeup design. But then, I've been spoiled by werewolf films from An American Werewolf in London, Howling, Dog Soldiers, both Teen Wolves and the Ginger Snaps series. I also liked Wolfen, An American WereWolf in Paris, Cursed, the Underworld series and Wolf Park. I wasn't such a fan of the Werewolf TV series, Wolf, or the later Howlings though.

So, I may not be the most critical in this genre but I certainly enjoyed it. There were a lot of nods to the original movie in it. You should probably see the original Wolfman to be able to compare it better. It still pretty good to watch - and neat to see the total lack of a full moon scene.

No comments: