Monday, January 7, 2008

FPS / twitch games

I don’t like them. I never have. Part of it has to be that I was around back in the day when the bad pseudo 3-D games first came out. I remember wandering around corridors in Ultima and Wizardry dungeons and later through the Bard’s Tales where their idea of a challenge was to include spinners and teleporters in the dungeons that you were mapping square by square. Castle Wolfenstein was originally a sideways shooter like Robotron before it went 3D for Beyond.
I was never into Mechwarrior, or any of the flight simulators (either aircraft or X-wings).
I did play a bit of Dark Forces, but that was mainly just to show my son the stormtroopers on the computer.

The real-time-strategy or RTS games don’t really have much appeal to me either. I didn’t play Dune, but did try Command and Conquer and Warcraft. I’m okay with the building and don’t mind the farming aspect (regardless of how silly they might seem to the game) but find the real-time part annoying. I prefer taking more time to think about my options – which is why I liked Heroes of Might and Magic – it gives you a bit more time to think about your turn.
That said, we did love Diablo and, to a lesser degree, Diablo 2. We’ll probably run through them again when we upgrade the PC with a newer, bigger, flatter screen.

The other part of it is that I don’t care to put in the time needed to dedicate myself to learning the maps and quirks (how to jump and sidestep, where the key supplies are hidden) just in order to be beaten by those of my friends who do excel at them. Die By The Sword was pretty cool though.

2 comments:

JP said...

In theory, my present tower as configured has sufficient juice to run 4 copies of Diablo at a time. I could play a whole multi player party in 4 windows...

David said...

Hmmm. An actual multiplayer Diablo not just standing around and chatting. Sounds tempting.