Monday, November 5, 2007

Gord died

I don’t seem to be able to post from home so have been unable to update while on holidays last week. The Comiccon went well, got the costume mostly done, Halloween was fine. I’ll update on all that later but I must deal with this first.

At the Comiccon, Shan found out from his daughter Meghan that Gord from Face-Off had died on September 29. We were both stunned. He was 65 but we always remember him as a nice old man. When we used to do the comic shows, he was always there. I recall him as usually cheerful – more ready to shrug and laugh at something than let it get him upset. I used to judge Heroclix at his store back in the day and he was always super pleasant with which to deal. I had seen him get frustrated rarely but he usually was able to shake his head and let it pass.
He never closed – only two days a year and was always making crazy good deals for the customers. Since my office moved, I haven’t been out his way as much lately as I had been.

We will miss him terribly. He was one of the few old men in the gaming community left and definitely the sweetest. His son Rob will carry on running the store. Comiccon had a memorial poster up for him during the convention with his big grinning face by the registration desk.

No comments: