Monday, June 24, 2013

The big and the short of it

I have recently seen figures at both ends of the scale, one very large and one small. Each one invokes a vastly different response with me.


With the new Superman film out, they have released a 31” tall action figure of the main character. It has a whopping 7 points of articulation – legs, arms, wrists, and head. While it is certainly a Super action figure, we can’t help but wonder who the market was for this. It’s so much out of scale with other figures that who would it be able to fight? A giant pillow / rock? Another 31” Superman?

It turns out they had also released a 31” figure for the last Superman movie and even a similar sized Batman so there is always that possibility. Plus, if one is heavily in to making custom figures I suppose one could, with a lot of work, change it in to a Giant-Man, Galactus, or even a Sentinel but all would take a significant amount of modification. An 18” figure or even a 12” figure would have been better in this case.

This one is a definite miss with me. Not a hero I like, way too big, and for $40 it is way too expensive. Even if it was on a super clearance – for $10, I would have to seriously consider it before getting one. Less than that, at $5, I would probably snap up a few – even though I have no use for one, at that price I would find a use for them – even as gothic scenery.


On the smaller side, there is a set of Walking Dead Horde figures at a 2” size that is perfect for army men (or my cowboy figures). The pack is 14 figures (7 each in two colors of plastic) and priced at about $25 or less than $2 a figure. While I didn’t snap them up on Tuesday when I saw them, I’m certainly going to the next chance I get. I wanted to see if my local comic book store had them first - they don't but will see if they can get them.

One pack should be enough to convey the main horde, two would be tons if I can get them cheaper. I can always add to them with hacked up and painted regular figures as needed.

No comments: