Thursday, February 17, 2011

White Dwarf - renewal

I renewed my White Dwarf subscription today. I have mixed feelings about it. More and more people keep saying that it is merely their monthly catalog - hyping the newest releases, but I still look forward to it.

Not to say that I am without misgivings about it though. Ever since they went back to a North American issue (instead of the American and Canadian versions) there have been some concerns. Notable that the issues reach us long after they are in the stores - I received the January issue at the end of January and only received the February issue at the end of last week. Granted, they have been a bit of delays with Canada Post since the Christmas holidays but that still seems a bit excessive.
Secondly, when they came from the Canadian source they were in a plastic bag but when they come from the states they are not. This means that the shipping label is affixed directly to the magazine cover and I have a difficult time removing it without tearing even a small part of the cover.
Thirdly, they no longer even bother to list the prices of the new figures anymore. I suppose showing a split price would be too difficult - especially with our dollars floating around par.

Another note - with the Canadian issues, the spines for a year formed an image - it was not needed but was a nice touch. The downside of the Canadian issues was that they started renumbering at 1 so that I have a disjoint in my sequence.

On the upside, I can pay for my renewal at the local Games Workshop store. I could even have them hold the issues for me at the store as an in-house subscription. The only thing keeping me from doing so is that the 'local' Games Workshop is on the other half of the city - which wouldn't be so bad if they were open on Mondays or Tuesdays and if they were open before 1 pm during the week.

Ah well, I will continue with the mailed copy for another year and see how it turns out. Let's hope for the best.

No comments: