Friday, December 10, 2010

Locked out

It happens to all of us at some time. But it hasn’t happened to me in quite a while. Last night I got locked out of my vehicle.
I had started it up and then went to brush the snow off my front window. When I finished, I found that the doors were locked. Since the Windstar has a feature that is supposed to prevent you from being able to lock the door with the engine running I don’t even carry a spare key.

I called home to see if my wife could bring me the extra key but she didn’t want to drive down or take the bus so she just told me to call CAA. I’ve had a CAA membership for several years as I used to have a wagon that had issues but haven’t used it for anything in a few years beyond getting triptics for vacations.

I called them and they said it could be up to 90 minutes but because it was a simple lock-out they would get any truck on the way to pop in. In the end it took them an hour to show up and about another five to ten minutes to open the door (he had a bit of an issue trying to jimmy the lock and had to go through the frame instead and ended up pushing the button to open the window.

Needless to say, the car was toasty-warm on the way home.

No comments: