Thursday, June 4, 2009

Jugger - The Blood of Heroes

I had seen The Blood of Heroes about two decades ago. I am fairly sure I saw it in the theatre and I know I saw it many times on cable and recently picked it up on DVD for very cheap. It stars Rutger Hauer and Joan Chen. It’s basically Mad Max meets Blood Bowl.

Like most gamers, I thought it would make a neat game. I know Chris MacLaughlin had talked about designing a Blood Bowl team based around a Jugger team – naming his catcher a Kwik, etc. I thought about it again recently and did some searching online.

It seems that there are people playing this as a sport. There is a league in Germany and in Australia.
While it looks like fun, and I’m fairly certain that I could get enough people together to field two teams for a game, I’m not so sure that we could play without too much trouble from the Park Police. We’ll have to keep it on the back burner for now and let it mull.

Further searching seems to come up with a lack of a Jugger board game. So I finally put together rules for one. I had an epiphany moment about the movement and it all came together from there. I had a bit of an issue with the board but sorted that out yesterday.
When I get my notes together, I'll post the rules up here.

1 comment:

Huhu said...

"I’m not so sure that we could play without too much trouble from the Park Police"

We sometimes get surprised looks from cops and especially-slow-moving police car spectators (and one police call "there is a brawl") here in Berlin ... yet when they are once told how Jugger works, no problem anymore. Oh well, good old Berlin police. And there are even some Jugger workshops at schools throughout Germany.

It would be great to see a team from you over there! Australia, Ireland, Spain and Costa Rica also seem to have quite a lot of fun already.