Wednesday, July 2, 2008

FOCUS!

More and more lately, I’ve been noticing how badly out-of-focus movies are at the movie theatres. I’m not sure why this is becoming more common. I understand that they don’t have projectionists watching each movie to ensure it’s in perfect focus. I know that the projectors are supposed to be computer controlled to match the settings from the studio.
Yet, time and time again the picture is slightly out of focus. The preceding ads are a bit fuzzy but we hope the picture itself will be clear – but it often isn’t. It’s not my eyes – hang around to the end of the film to try to read the credits – quite often we can’t. Telling the staff doesn’t seem to help either.

Theatres complain that people aren’t going to the movies anymore. With large screen TVs and even regular DVDs, the picture at home is often much better than it is at the theatre. I like going to see the big films on the big screen, but it’s becoming less and less worthwhile if I can see the picture more clearly at home. I like getting the large bag or tub of buttered popcorn, but if it’s stale it again pushes me to just wait for the movies at home where I can ensure the freshness of the snacks.

No comments: