Monday, April 7, 2008

Birthday plans

My birthday falls at the end of June. In some ways it was nice. It split the gifts nicely 6 months apart from Christmas. But because it was mostly after school ended for the summer and we were usually on holidays, I didn’t often have birthday parties near my actual birthday. Even today, I don’t usually make a big deal of my birthday.

This is one of the bigger years as I turn 40 this summer. Shan’s wants to know if I want to do anything special. I believe we had a bunch of friends together for my 30th and we went miniature golfing at the park. It was a good time. It was also before most of us had kids. The extra broodlings have an effect on what we can do for the party.

I’ve been trying to think of anything special to do for my 40th and haven’t been able to come up with anything. I thought about watching a movie but nothing really stands out – in a format with our setup. There’s nowhere special that I want to go or see. I thought about getting together and doing a big Apocalypse battle but we don’t have anywhere near enough troops. I toyed with the idea of a Cthulhu live LARP but it seems like too much trouble in too short a time.
Any of the big games that we might play (like Fortress America, Diplomacy, or Circus Imperium) we don’t really have a great set-up yet – which is also why we don’t play those more often. The bigger, upsized games (like Canvas Eagles, Pod Racing, or Assault on Hoth) take even more room which is why we usually play them at Wincon.

I've been mulling it over and I’m still looking at the possibility of upsizing RoboRally, Classic Battletech, Battletech: Solaris VII, Adeptus Titanicus, or even Car Wars and maybe playing in the backyard. We'll see.

No comments: