Friday, April 22, 2016

Top 100 games to 2015 - overview

I finally have my list together to the end of 2015. I went through the games played in the last 10 years that I had noted on BoardGameGeek and slotted them in to my list. There were 29 games that I could even not remember that were still important enough to find their way on to my top 100 list. Although none of these games ended up in the top 30.

A few interesting notes. 52 of the games on my top 100 list were published before 2000 and 31 of the games on my top 100 list haven’t even been played since 2000. I don’t have any games from 2015 on my list yet.

This tells me that I’m not really a member of the ‘cult of the new’, where I automatically rank the newer games higher. In fact, some of the newer games on my list may slide down over the next few years. I’ve already seen this with Get Bit, which would have still been on this list had Walk The Plank not come out and not only easily replaced it but hastened it’s slide off the list.

A lot more of the order games are pretty stable in their rankings. There is always the chance that a newer game may replace it but the older games are pretty entrenched.

Of the 856 game plays that I have recorded since 2006, 279 plays are by games in my top 100 list. This means that two thirds of the games that I have played in the last 10 years are not even in my top 100 list. This shows that I am willing to give new games a chance or even play games that I don’t love if someone else does.
About 20% of my plays were for games made before 2000, 37% of the plays were for games published between 2000 and 2005, 22% of the plays were for games published between 2006 and 2010, and 21% of the plays were for new games published after 2010.

The other thing about this is that it does make me look a bit closer when buying new games. If it's part of a set, or filling in a collection, I'll still get it but, if I don't think it will replace a game on my top 200, I have to seriously think about it. I still have a lot of games that could probably find a nice home on my top 100 that I haven't even gotten around to playing yet.

No comments: