Thursday, March 5, 2009

Who Watches the Watchmen?

We will. It's the comic geek ultimate movie - 20 years in the making, and I keep running into friends who haven't even read it. I mean, even with it being sold in Walmart (which surprises me due to the violence and rape scenes), I can understand the general public not being exposed to it. I can understand them not knowing the characters or even that they were based on the old Charleton characters but had to be changed when DC decided to intergrate those characters into the DC universe but to not have even read it?

There were a few defining graphic novels when the format was still fresh. The Dark Knight Returns, Maus, and Watchmen are the main three. The Killing Joke is close but doesn't quite make this level. How could twenty years have passed and people have not been exposed to Watchmen before the movie?

From what I have seen of it, it looks like Zack has kept true to the original vision. I really look forward to seeing it on the big screen. I hope it does well enough. There has certainly been enough hype and a fevrent enough fanbase, but will it spill over into the general public? Will they go see a superhero movie about heroes of which most of them have never heard? I am concerned it may become another Daredevil or Serenity - both great films done very well - but just not well known.

No comments: