Thursday, January 15, 2009

Who is number 1? Khan!

Yesterday we lost Ricardo Montalban and Patrick McGoohan.

Ricardo always had a great accent and wonderful way of rolling his words. Some will remember him as Mr Roarke from Fantasy Island or even as Khan from Star Trek, some will remember his car ads touting “rich Corinthian leather”. My kids will remember him as the voice of Senor Senior Sr from Kim Possible.
To me, I remember him in Neptune’s Daughter singing one version of “Baby, it’s cold outside”.
According to wiki, he remained a Mexican citizen his entire life and received a Knighthood in the Order of St Gregory the Great.


Wiki lists Patrick McGoohan as being American born but raised in England and Ireland. He will be remembered as Danger Man/Secret Agent to most but I don’t recall seeing any of them. He was Number 6 in the Prisoner which I did see and enjoy, but to me he’ll always remain Dr Syn alias the Scarecrow from The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh. Since those first aired on Disney in 1963 before I was born, I must have seen a rerun some time later.

I have the novelization of the show and really enjoyed the nod to him in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in the paintings of the earlier Leagues. I was looking forward to having them finally released on DVD sometime but it seems that Dr Syn finally came out quietly in November 2008.

Now I just have to track down a copy. I’ll put it on my list.

No comments: