Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Finally - Fluxx

I finally played Fluxx.  I had been hearing about it for well over a decade (the basic game has been around since 1996) and had seen the Star Fluzz variant on Tabletop which finally made me get a copy of the Cthulhu Fluxx.  This has been sitting around waiting for a few months but we took it on holidays with a bag of games to play.
If you haven’t heard of Fluxx, I’ll explain it briefly.  It’s a card game where the rules change during the course of play.  You start with a hand of five cards and get to draw one card and play one card each turn.  The cards you play can affect how many cards you can draw, play, and hold, as well as adding goals which give you a way to win the game.  In addition to the basic game, they have many variants with different themes their own modifiers.

We played a number of games over the weekend with my kids and nieces including Cthulhu Fluxx.   My kids know only the basics of the Cthulhu mythos and they have played Cthulhu Gloom but the nieces hadn’t much exposure before.  We lost more games than we won due to the Ungoals – which were conditions that would cause all players to lose.
We had enough fun that when we came across a Monty Python Fluxx game while shopping that week we snapped it up.  The Monty Python Fluxx was a bit easier to play but the theme was lost on my nieces – who hadn’t really been exposed to much Monty Python.  This will have to be rectified at the next time we visit them.  My favorite moment in this set of games was the first time one of the nieces played the Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink, card and my son and I both drew a card but my daughter and nieces had no idea why.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

been busy - part 3 - moved storage

On Saturday morning, we got the kids up and moved everything out of our old 10’ x 10’ storage locker into a new 10’ x 15’ storage locker. With everyone’s help it only took about 3 hours and, in the resifting, we were able to stack a lot better. 

I will still need to spend some time moving around what’s left in there to better stack the rest of it, and the wife wants to move more out of the basement storage and hallway to free up some extra space so that we can move more off of my desk to be able to use it again. 

Monday, July 29, 2013

Been busy - part 2 - daughter's room

At the beginning of July we took everything out of my daughter’s room.  We took the bunk beds apart and took them over to my folks.  We removed the carpeting, curtains, and baseboards.  I washed the walls and filled a bunch of the holes with drywall putty.  

My dad came over and helped again as we put in laminate flooring.  We painted the long walls a lighter blue and the short walls a dark blue.  Both short walls have the windows so it helps with the darkness.

We also popped into IKEA and picked up a pull-out daybed for her that we assembled.  We added back the baseboards and new curtains – having to putty and paint to repair the new holes as we repositioned them.  She has almost finished putting all her stuff back.

I am painting a board to hang her coat hooks back on and need to repair the window crank on one of her windows plus any painting touchups need from that.  She has to decide where she wants all her wall hangers and where her new bed netting will be.  Then we will be done for now – except for having to keep fixing her dresser drawers – as she has a tendency to keep pulling off the faces and pushing out the bottoms.

Friday, July 26, 2013

Been busy - part 1 - new shed

It’s been a flurry of activity this summer. My dad came over and we built a new shed. Well, more accurately, we assembled a new shed. Our old one has been getting progressively worse – with the roof becoming more leaky as the shingles warp, the door sticking as it settles into the ground, and becoming a winter home for the squirrel. The wife didn’t want to spend any more money on it however, so it has been deteriorating over the last few years.

It was also only 6’ x8’ and the new one is 8’x9’. The old one was wood though and the new one a resin. This makes it a bit more tricky to hang things on the walls like we did in the old shed. I started to make a wooden table and shelves with the extra wood I used from the base but haven’t finished yet.